http first read error

Anand Shah imanandshah at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 10:49:24 CEST 2013

Hi All,

Recently I am seeing too many http first read errors for one of my varnish
driven domain. To me this looks like the backend does not answer inside the
"first_byte" timeout. But the timeout mentioned is 60 seconds and it times
out in one second. To troubleshoot it more I ran a tcpdump to understand if
the backend is not closing the connection but unfortunately I never received
a request at the backend for one such request which went unattended. Any
clue on how this could be traced down further.

first_byte_timeout          60.000000 [s]

connect_timeout =             1s;

Regards,
    Anand