Varnish + Tomcat vs Apache + mod_cache + mod_jk +Tomcat

Adrian Ber beradrian at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 22 19:31:58 CEST 2013

Hi Dridi,

If you post your answer on ServerFault, I want to accept it.

Thanks,
Adrian.

On Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 12:06, Adrian Ber <beradrian at yahoo.com> wrote:

Definitely VCL is easier to use than Apache config. And Varnish/Apache and Tomcat will be sitting on the same (cloud) machine.
>Then practically I would be interested in a comparison of the overhead added by Apache vs Varnish in terms of non-cached requests.
>
>Thanks,
>Adrian.
>

>On Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 11:54, Dridi Boukelmoune <dridi.boukelmoune at zenika.com> wrote:
>
>Hi,
>>
>>I have no data to show, but since I use all three tools, I can give
>>you my two cents :)
>>
>>Varnish + Tomcat is definitely the simplest architecture, because it
>>does not involve AJP. I would also consider changing the default
>>(blocking) http
 connector on the Tomcat side and measuring performance
>>improvements (non blocking, native...). I'm also a big fan of the VCL
>>which feels a lot more natural than httpd's configuration to me.
>>
>>As I trust Varnish not to be the bottleneck, I am not keen on adding a
>>new indirection (httpd) for a binary protocol that is not relevant to
>>me anymore. I believe (still no data) having a 10Gb/s connection
>>between Varnish and Tomcat (I
 assume they're not sitting too far from
>>each other) outperforms the compactness of AJP (serialization
>>involved).
>>
>>Best Regards,
>>Dridi
>>

>>On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Adrian Ber <beradrian at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Does anyone have some comparison data in terms of performance for using in
>>> front of Tomcat either Varnish or Apache with mod_jk. I know that AJ
>>> connector suppose to be faster than HTTP, but I was thinking that in
>>> combination Varnish which is lighter and highly optimized could perform
>>> better. There is also the discussion between static
 resources (which I think
>>> will perform
 faster with Varnish than Apache, even with mod_cache) and