varnisher, a purging tool

Rob Miller rob at bigfish.co.uk
Mon Sep 2 20:27:49 CEST 2013

Hi guys,

A couple of years back I posted a link here to a rough-and-ready Ruby
script for purging pages and resources within pages without having to
dip into varnishadm, and it seemed to be fairly well-received.

Well, I spent some time recently cleaning it up, fixing a few bugs, and
adding a few features, and would appreciate some feedback and real-world
testing before I go all 1.0 with it.

It came about because we'd always make changes to an individual page on
a website that included changes to stylesheets and images within that
page, and would end up with either overly aggressive bans (banning the
whole domain, for example) or inconsistently cached content (where a
page was purged but, say, the stylesheet on it wasn't, so content
appeared weird).

With it you can:

* Purge a single URL
* Purge an HTML page along with all of the resources on that page (e.g.
JS files, CSS files, images)
* Purge an entire domain, and optionally reindex it afterwards
* Spider a domain to keep your cache warm

Installation instructions and source code are here (its only requirement
is Ruby 1.9.3 or above):

https://github.com/robmiller/varnisher

Naturally it relies on you having some appropriate VCL in your config
and that your IP is in your ACL, if you have one.

Anyway, I hope that firstly it works and that secondly it's useful to
someone else; it's been useful to us in the past couple of years! I'd
also appreciate any feedback on what's changed in the last two years of
Varnish that could make what it does simpler/better — especially on
when it comes to the recommended VCL.

(It's probably best to post bug reports etc. as issues on GitHub, rather
than to the list; I wouldn't want to contribute to noisy inboxes for
people.)

Kind regards,
Rob

--