Force a backend health probe?

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at zenika.com
Tue Sep 10 22:43:31 CEST 2013

Hi,

>From the man vcl:

.window
       How many of the latest polls we examine to determine backend
       health.  Defaults to 8.

.threshold
       How many of the polls in .window must have succeeded for us to
       consider the backend healthy.  Defaults to 3.

.initial
       How many of the probes are considered good when Varnish starts.
       Defaults to the same amount as the threshold.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM, Stephen Wood <smwood4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to force a backend-end health probe or force mark a backend
> as healthy?
>
> For example, you have a group of machines and their health probe is set to
> something like 60 seconds, which is preferable for every-day use. However,
> when starting the varnish machine for the first time I would like these
> backends to be marked healthy as quick as possible.
>
> Any ideas how this can be done without just changing the VCL for period of
> time?

What are the "threshold" and "initial" values of your probes ?

> --
> Stephen Wood
> www.heystephenwood.com

Dridi