Caching large Files with Varnish 3.0.4

Andre Lohmann lohmann.andre at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 14:10:19 CEST 2013

Hi, we have that Problem of very large Files (Videos in our case) that we
want to be cached on some frontend machines on varnish (some requests hit
the server as range reauests too).

I know there is one possible solution of prewarming these files, but since
we have some new and very high frequented files and some archived and
lesser frequended ones, prewarming is no a valid solution for us.

I tried to understand how this could be solved with do_stream. But if I got
it right, when the File is not in cache, the first request onto this file
will be streamed and the second request will blocked until the File is
fully cached. Whatif the first client reuqest turns into a range request
before the file is fully cached?

I also found some notes to 3.0.2s (very old) which mentioned of 3.0.2s as
having full streaming capabilities (what ever that means).

Will there be any solution for the caching of large files on demand in the
future, or is there anything I missed, that is allready working well?

kind regards

--
Andre Lohmann

Alte Gärtnerei 20a