What else can I try

Paul A. Procacci pprocacci at datapipe.com
Thu Apr 10 03:01:37 CEST 2014

Copied the list for completeness......

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 01:50:46AM +0100, Roy Forster wrote:
> Thanks Paul not yet sure how to do that but at least I feel hopeful

Let me try to be a bit descriptive:

Let's say you have apache listening on
127.0.0.1:8080 and
123.45.67.89:8080   (randomly selected)

The host your interested in as defined in your apache config is
sitting on 123.45.67.89:8080.

Varnish listens on 123.45.67.89:80.

In your varnish config you define the backend as 127.0.0.1:8080.

The problem I believe you are running into is you are connecting to
apache from varnish over an interface that apache can't make a match
on.  You've connected to 127.0.0.1:8080 but the host is sitting @
123.45.67.89:8080.

Since you didn't provide this information this is a stab in the dark,
but something like this or similar would give you the default page
you are describing.

~Paul