Varnish 3.0.5 RAM/SWAP usage

geodni at free.fr geodni at free.fr
Wed Aug 6 14:19:00 CEST 2014

> I run a similar configuration except instead of file I use
>
> malloc,26G
>
> Have you tried that? does it react the same?

Hi,
I tried that and the system became unstable after 3 minutes. I had to reboot because of <defunct> processes appears after that. No hardware failure nor specific system log. After the reboot, I made another injection test with "file" storage.

My conclusion is that Varnish really eats 1GB per 1 million objects but it also consume 22GB RAM for the rest of its activity !!!
What the hell is it doing with 22GB of RAM ? 80MB for SHM logs, 100MB for threads ok but what about the rest ?

The platform I use runs at 2k requests per second for one injection job. One thing I can do is limiting "file"  storage to 100GB to be sure the system won't use SWAP. I am currently running this test.

Regards,
Denis