sticky session

Ashish Nepal aashisn at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 17:39:42 CEST 2014

Hi, I am not 100% sure how client.identity = req.http.cookie works,neither i got good firm understanding from varnish-cache website itself.
can someone explain me if with below config i can get all request from one user to same backend?
If yes, My test gives me diff backend, if no, can someone explain me how this works?
 } elseif (req.http.host ~ "^test\.domain\.com$") {                 set client.identity = req.http.cookie;                 set req.backend = loc1;
                 if(!req.backend.healthy) {                        set req.backend = loc2;                 }
        }
(i am currently trying to run internal authentication based portal behind varnish.)