another architecture question

Hernán Marsili hernan at cmsmedios.com
Wed Aug 20 16:02:47 CEST 2014

Hi,

A couple of month ago I asked a question here regarding the best VARNISH
architecture for a high traffic site. We then do some testing and we are
still unsure of the best scenario, so I ask again with a little more
information.

We have a 40.000 concurrent users sites. This is handled by 5 boxes. On
each box we have TOMCAT, APACHE and VARNISH using malloc.

What we want to determine, is the impact on each server VARNISH makes,
mostly at a 'connections' level and determine if is best to:

a) growth adding same kind of servers (boxes with all 3 services)
b) separete Varnish from the boxes and have, for example, 2 varnishes
balacing with 4 backend servers

On the b scenario, we can assign more memory to the TOMCAT and handle more
load. The CACHE HIT RATE is not an issue, since all the boxes have a very
high hitrate.

Any advice on this matter will be appreciated. We are inclining now for the
A option.