VCL continuous integration

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at zenika.com
Wed Aug 20 22:58:28 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM, James Pearson <james at ifixit.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from L Cruzero's message of 2014-08-05 07:27:15 -0700:
>> is anyone on the list using any CI tools or have any ideas possible options
>> for implementing continuous integration with VLC.
>
> I don't know what you're looking for, but one of the tests in our CI suite does
> a Varnish syntax check by calling `varnishd -C -f <filename> -n /tmp 2>&1

You may want to add parameters like vcl_dir if like me you split your
VCL in multiple files. I usually put at least the backend(s)/director(s)
in a separate file, so that I can include the actual policy in test cases,
or share the same policy for different environments (QA, preprod)
without duplicating code (avoids divergence).

> 1>/dev/null` and checking the exit code. Doing much more is difficult because
> Varnish, like other services, is fairly global, as opposed to application code,
> which can be much more easily tested in parallel on a single machine.

But if you want to test your cache policy (namely your VCL) you can do
so by mocking the backends and clients behaviors. Et voilà, you can run
your varnishtest suite in parallel :-)

Cheers,
Dridi