clearing the varnish cache

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Thu Aug 21 11:13:05 CEST 2014

Hi Tim.

First of all, the version of Varnish you're running is pretty outdated.
3.0, which was released three years replaced it and since then we've have a
4.0 release. Please consider upgrading.

To answer your question. The easiest way to verify that it does what it
should do is to monitor the varnishlog. You'll just a huge number of cache
misses that naturally follows the purge of the cache. If you have no caches
behind Varnish you can just grep out the Age header and you'll see it will
initially be all zeroes.

Per.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>  I've been asked to flush the varnish cache in our environment. So I used
> the following command to do that:
>
> varnishadm -T 127.0.0.1:2000 url.purge .
>
> However the command doesn't provide any feedback or output. How can we
> verify that the cache has indeed been flushed?
>
> Wer'e using varnish 2.1.5.
>
> Thanks
> Tim
>
> --
> GPG me!!
>
> gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys F186197B

 <http://www.varnish-software.com/> *Per Buer*
CTO | Varnish Software
Phone: +47 958 39 117 | Skype: per.buer
We Make Websites Fly!

Winner of the Red Herring Top 100 Global Award 2013