hit rate on a staging website

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 05:44:30 CET 2014

Hey guys,

 We've setup some monitoring on a staging version of a production web site
at work. It looks like we're getting about a .50 (or 50%) hit rate on the
staging site. We haven't monitored the production site for varnish hit
rates yet. We're using a Nagios check written in perl for that.

But if it's possible to think of this in general terms, what I'd like to
know is if you think that .50 is a respectable hit rate for a php/drupal
site that's basically not in production, and the traffic it encounters is
synthetic. Basically it's tested out by the developers and load tests are
run against it using load generators as you might expect.

And of course, some of the site content is dynamic and not meant to be
cached.

Here's how it's broken down:

Cache_hit_percent=50.22

cache_hit 222628

cache_miss 220674

Here's we how calculate cache hit percent

cache_hit_percent = ( cache_hit / ( cache_hit + cache_miss ) ) * 100

So all I want to know from the more experienced varnish guys is, would you
consider this an acceptable cache hit rate given my situation?

Thanks

Tim

--
GPG me!!