new Varnish4 install -- seeing MISSes instead of HITs ? vcl & log included

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at zenika.com
Thu Dec 11 23:36:56 CET 2014

Hi,

My guess is both a mistake from you and a bug in varnish.

In vcl_hit you should "return(deliver)" instead of "return(fetch)".

Looking at the source code, I don't understand what the hit->fetch
transition means, and according to the documentation it shouldn't
even be possible:

https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/4.0/users-guide/vcl-built-in-subs.html#vcl-hit

And yet this transition is explicitly mentioned in your logs and in the
VCL state machine code. Unfortunately I don't have time to look more
into it.

Dridi