caching anon users', & auth users' ESI, content specifically in Laravel PHP framework apps?

spaceman spaceman at antispaceman.com
Tue Dec 16 21:08:16 CET 2014

If I were you I would put a filter on the ESI routes that need to be cached
that prevents the cookie like this:
Route::filter('nocookie', function() {
	Config::set('session.driver', 'array');
});
The session driver array doesn't set cookies. However if there are client side
cookies then you will need to strip them using Varnish. I don't know if this
is correct way but I do it like:
if ( req.http.host ~ "^(.*\.)?hostname(\..*)?$" ) {
    if ( req.url ~ "^/path/" ) {
        unset req.http.Cookie;
in vcl_recv. This should make the pages cachable by Varnish. You should also
set the cache control headers using this:
$response->setCache(array('last_modified' => new \DateTime(), 'max_age' => 300
));
This can be done in a filter or on the controller, it will need to be a proper
laravel response object.