Varnish Clustering

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Dec 31 17:58:57 CET 2014

> Am 31.12.2014 um 08:48 schrieb Behzad Altaf <behzadaltaf at gmail.com>:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Would anyone please help me with the exact steps that are needed for putting varnish boxes into clustering and self replication mode.
>
> I have two boxes on which Varnish is running with a backend webserver.
>
> I looked at the following but it does not have the steps
>
> https://www.varnish-software.com/blog/introducing-varnish-high-availability-2 <https://www.varnish-software.com/blog/introducing-varnish-high-availability-2>

This is for the commercial, subscription-only varnish plus (and then you probably need the Gold Subscription).

OSS varnish does not have a cache-replication feature.

Can’t you just load-balance between the two varnish-instances?
Both will warm-up slower, but at least you’d have two warm caches.

Of course, your application should then do cache-invalidation on both instances - which is usually the trickier part and probably one reason why people fork-over the money for the subscription...