Varnish 503 error

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at zenika.com
Mon Feb 10 21:11:46 CET 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Jean Respen <jean.respen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I sometimes have the following error in my logs:
>
> 12 VCL_return   c hash
>    12 VCL_call     c miss fetch
>    12 Backend      c 15 default default
>    12 FetchError   c http first read error: -1 0 (No error recorded)
>    12 Backend      c 11 default default
>    12 FetchError   c http first read error: -1 0 (No error recorded)
>    12 VCL_call     c error deliver
>    12 VCL_call     c deliver deliver
>    12 TxProtocol   c HTTP/1.1
>    12 TxStatus     c 503
>    12 TxResponse   c Service Unavailable
>    12 TxHeader     c Server: Varnish
>
> Does anyone know what could happen? It is boring, as it gives a 503
> error on around 1 over 5 requests.

Was you problem solved or do you still need an anwser ?

I'm slowly catching up (yes I'm that late) and I could give a quick
peek in the source to try to figure out what's hapening. IMHO there
isn't probably too many reasons to get a FetchError in the logs.

By the way, what version of Varnish are you using ?

Dridi