Processing Power

Jan-Aage Frydenbø-Bruvoll jan at architechs.eu
Mon Jan 27 14:05:34 CET 2014

Hi,

I am sure you have made your own calculations already and will know that the amount of RAM will be more dependent on the active data set and not so much dictate the potential speed of Varnish.

To our experience we run out of file descriptors on the servers before we run out of steam on the Varnish side, and the former has so far only been because of misconfigurations on our part. We have distributed the load across a number of virtual servers, each taking in the range of 1000-2500 req/s - and that at a typical CPU load of 5-15% on our 2.5GHz clock CPUs.

I am also sure you have done your considerations regarding the daily cache flush, but in case you have not, I would try to find ways around that, as it leaves you open to attack against your caches (or general overload) at the time after the flush, when a degree (unknown to me) of your cache has to be rebuilt for no reason.

Best regards
Jan