Monitor average response time

Carlos Abalde carlos.abalde at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 18:19:59 CET 2014

Hi all,

In order to measure the impact of some VCL to be integrated in an existing VCL, I would like to be able to monitor the average response time of Varnish when delivering cached objects using the old and the new VCL. The idea is include that metric in some monitoring software and be able to detect how changes in VCL affect the performance of Varnish.

I know some timing information is available in varnishlog. I’m aware of the varnishhist tool (which I assume consumes the timing information available in varnishlog). I’m also aware of the timers VMOD (https://github.com/jib/libvmod-timers) and similar approaches. However, I would prefer some counter readable using varnishstat, but I’m afraid that counter I’m looking for does not exist. Am I right? Any simple alternative not depending on varnishlog?

Thanks,

—
Carlos Abalde.