Strange bug since upgrading to varnish 4

Lasse Karstensen lkarsten at varnish-software.com
Thu Nov 13 15:31:12 CET 2014

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 01:37:48AM -0800, Hugues Alary wrote:
> I just upgraded to from 3 (.0.5/6) to 4.0.2 on my debian system.
> I converted my old varnish 3 code to 4.0.2. The varnish 3 code has been
> working flawlessly for more than 2 years.
> Now, in my varnish 4 VCL, everything works fine except for a very specific
> piece of code that seem to crash(?) varnish. I say crash with a question
> The symptom of the bug is the following: when I connect with a mobile
> browser, the connection seems like it's being reset, and the browser shows:
[..]
> In varnishadm panic.show tells me that no panic happened recently.
> My guess is that my condition is so long that Varnish can't handle it,

Hi.

I pieced together your VCL as best I could (your email client/the list
software line wrapped some regexes), but I'm not able to reproduce your
problem with 4.0.2 on debian.

A bit of a long shot, but are there any mentions of Varnish 4 segfaults
in dmesg?

My guess would be that you either are running out of workspace_client or
or are hitting pcre_match_limit. I suggest you increase them and see if
the problem persists.

--
Lasse Karstensen
Varnish Software AS