varnishlog -m -w

Jason Heffner jdh132 at psu.edu
Thu Sep 4 16:03:29 CEST 2014

> On Aug 28, 2014, at 12:17 PM, Geoff Simmons <geoff at uplex.de> wrote:

> On 08/28/2014 05:42 PM, Jason Heffner wrote:
>> We are running Varnish 3.0.5-1 from the el6 repo. When trying to
>> use varnishlog with the -w option we are noticing that it ignores
>> the -m option.
>>
>> For instance
>>
>> varnishlog -a -w /var/log/varnish/varnish.log -m TxStatus:503
>
> In my experience, -m in Varnish 3 does not filter at all unless you also
> provide -b or -c for backend or client transactions, respectively.
> It's unrelated to -w.
>
> Since you're evidently looking for client transactions including
>
> $ varnishlog -c -a -w /var/log/varnish/varnish.log -m TxStatus:503
>
> (BTW, this has all been greatly improved in Varnish 4.)
>

> HTH,
> Geoff
> - --

Sorry, I had missed your response last week. I tried

varnishlog -c -a -w /var/log/varnish/varnish.log -m TxStatus:503

and that still will log all entries to varnish.log. I actually want to do a more complicated match on several errors and this was what I used to recreate the problem to rule out that pattern match.

I do want to move to Varnish 4 at some point but still working on re-creating all the rules.