Varnish 3 EOL

Carlos Abalde carlos.abalde at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 14:44:19 CEST 2015

> On 24 Apr 2015, at 03:57, Jason Price <japrice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well... this is quite a challenging statement.
>
> My challenge is this:  The vmod community is awaiting features in 4.1 (not released yet) before they can begin porting over to varnish 4.x.
>
> What is the correct approach to handle this situation?  Varnish 4 is 'incomplete' to the needs of these users, yet varnish3 is EOL.
>
> -Jason (if the required features to support vmod_redis and similar have made it to 4.x, please correct my understanding)

Hi Jason,

I ported to V4 the Redis VMOD (https://github.com/carlosabalde/libvmod-redis) some months ago. That VMOD is similar to other existing options (e.g. https://github.com/zephirworks/libvmod-redis, https://github.com/brandonwamboldt/libvmod-redis, https://github.com/julp/libvmod-keystore, etc.) but fixing many small bugs, including a more flexible API and also including support for multiple servers, Redis Cluster, LUA scripting, connection pools, etc.

Personally, I don’t think there are so many VMODs waiting for 4.1 to be migrated. In most cases the migration from V3 is pretty simple.

Best,

--
Carlos Abalde