regsub(all?) input limit

Carlos Abalde carlos.abalde at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 14:59:17 CET 2015

> On 03 Dec 2015, at 14:05, Christian Ruppert <idl0r at qasl.de> wrote:
>
> thanks for your fast reply! :)
> You're right! Setting workspace_backend to at least 429k helps in this case. 64k vs. >429k is quite a lot tough. So that will be allocated for each backend req/resp? Is take from the space set by "-s" or additionally? Is there any better way to set the XID, instead of using smaller images? I'm not sure about the drawbacks when setting workspace_backend to e.g. 512k.

Hi,

Workspaces are local to each Varnish thread. It's a common pattern used to reduce thread contention when they need to allocate memory. The amount of memory consumed by workspaces is additional to any storage defined with the -s parameter. Having a large workspace (e.g. 1MB) does not necessarily imply that each worker thread is going to consume 1MB. That's just virtual memory. If not really used by all worker threads, then that's not going to be a problem.

Best,

--
Carlos Abalde