Why varnish caches as the cache is stopped?

georgi.int at gmail.com georgi.int at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 11:26:04 CET 2015

Hello,
I want to use varnish only as a proxy server, not to cache and have the
following in the configuration which should stop the cache completely in
vcl recv:

   if (req.http.Authorization || req.http.Cookie) {
          return (pass);

the age header is 0, so it should not cache, but I notice that
varnish_storage.bin is full although, so something is cached - right? On
some servers with 32 GB ram29 is full and when I restart varnish the ram
is no more used, but I am not sure it these two things are linked. Here
is my /etc/sysconfig/varnish:

# # The minimum number of worker threads to start
VARNISH_MIN_THREADS=50

# # The Maximum number of worker threads to start
VARNISH_MAX_THREADS=1000

# # Idle timeout for worker threads
VARNISH_THREAD_TIMEOUT=120

# # Cache file location
VARNISH_STORAGE_FILE=/usr/local/varnish/lib/varnish_storage.bin

# # Cache file size: in bytes, optionally using k / M / G / T suffix,
# # or in percentage of available disk space using the % suffix.
VARNISH_STORAGE_SIZE=1G

# # Backend storage specification
VARNISH_STORAGE="file,${VARNISH_STORAGE_FILE},${VARNISH_STORAGE_SIZE}"

# # Default TTL used when the backend does not specify one
VARNISH_TTL=120

# # Varnish username
VARNISHUSER=varnish

# # Varnish group name
VARNISHGROUP=varnish

DAEMON_OPTS="-a ${VARNISH_LISTEN_ADDRESS}:${VARNISH_LISTEN_PORT} \
              -T
${VARNISH_ADMIN_LISTEN_ADDRESS}:${VARNISH_ADMIN_LISTEN_PORT} \
              -f ${VARNISH_VCL_CONF} \
              -S ${VARNISH_SECRET_FILE} \
              -s file,${VARNISH_STORAGE_FILE},${VARNISH_STORAGE_SIZE}"

My questions are 1) does my conviguration stop completely the cache and
why then storage.bin is full?
2) Why varnish eat so much ram - because of many requests, wrong
configuration or?