why i get response if it is a post request with pass?

Geoff Simmons geoff at uplex.de
Mon Dec 28 11:57:28 CET 2015

On 12/28/15 11:30 AM, יעקב ירמולובסקי wrote:
> But if I have the following in my vcl file: .first_byte_timeout =
> 600s; .between_bytes_timeout = 600s;
>
> Doesn't varnish suppose to respect it?

In that case it wasn't a first byte timeout. Possibly something is
causing a network disconnect if there is no activity for 5 seconds.
That could be something in your Apache config, or for example a
network device such as a firewall.

Some advice: don't set your Varnish timeouts to 10 minutes, that's
astronomical, and will very likely be counterproductive. This is a
typical point of contention between backend app developers and the
Varnish admin -- if the apps get slow, they'll want Varnish to "wait
forever". But if the apps take that long, one of your Varnish worker
threads is blocked for up to 10 minutes. If the app is in serious
trouble so that it takes that long for all requests, all of those
threads will block, and eventually you'll hit the worker thread
maximum and Varnish will start refusing connections. No amount of
increasing the thread pool can save you when the timeouts are that long.

If the apps are that slow, you have a catastrophe no matter what
happens, and you're better off having Varnish time out within a few
seconds, so that at least Varnish remains stable. And the developers
will have to bite the bullet and fix the app.

> Where can I see how long the apache took to respond?

The Apache mod_log_config module has formatters for that, for use in
the LogFormat directive; but that's no longer a Varnish question.

The varnishlog ReqEnd record will tell you how long Varnish waited,
look here:

https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/Varnishlog

Best,
Geoff