error purging URLs

Andrew Langhorn andrew.langhorn at digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk
Sat Jan 31 00:29:37 CET 2015

Sounds permissions-related. I'd start off with:

- `ps aux | grep varnishd` as root and noting the PID of varnishd
- `lsof -p $pid | grep vsm` to see where Varnish's shared memory log is
- checking that the Varnish user has read/write access to the location
returned above

Also, how are you using varnishd? Would be useful if you could post your
full varnishd command, including switches.

thanks

On 30 January 2015 at 22:42, Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
>  For some reason when I go to purge the varnish cache on my second varnish
> node, I get this error:
>
> [root at varnish2:~] #varnishadm ban "req.url ~ /"
> Cannot open /var/lib/varnish/varnish2/_.vsm: No such file or directory
> Could not open shared memory
>
> Can someone please explain to me what this error means and how to correct
> that?
>
> Thanks!
> Tim
>
> --
> GPG me!!
>
> gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys F186197B

Andrew Langhorn
Web Operations
Government Digital Service

e: andrew.langhorn at digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk
t: +44 (0)7810 737375
a: 6th Floor, Aviation House, 125 Kingsway, London, WC2B 6NH