vcl_purge

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Fri Mar 27 15:43:55 CET 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Jennings III, Raymond <
raymond.jennings at nytimes.com> wrote:

> When things get purged vcl_miss and vcl_hit were handling it just fine for
> me.  I really don't care about the Vary issue.  I just wanted to know if
> the hash on the uri for a purge - was their a match or not.

Well. Knowing if there is a hash match rather than knowing if the object
was purge doesn't sound very useful IMO.

"Nobody" - seems odd - I use it extensively.

True. I've never heard anyone ask about this. Since Varnish is a cache
people don't usually care about what potentially was there before a PURGE
call. The only thing they care about is whether the purge succeeded or not.

What do you use it for? Why do you care if the purge call purged something?