Varnish and mod_deflate support

georgi.int at gmail.com georgi.int at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 17:42:08 CET 2015

Hello,
I have been using varnish 3.7 only as a proxy server for apache and have
a following lines in default.vcl which should handle the encodings:

if (req.http.Accept-Encoding) {
     if (req.http.Accept-Encoding ~ "gzip") {
       # If the browser supports it, we'll use gzip.
       #set req.http.Accept-Encoding = "gzip";
       unset req.http.Accept-Encoding;
     }
     else if (req.http.Accept-Encoding ~ "deflate") {
       # Next, try deflate if it is supported.
       set req.http.Accept-Encoding = "deflate";
     }
     else {
       # Unknown algorithm. Remove it and send unencoded.
       unset req.http.Accept-Encoding;

Although, customers which have mod_deflate rules in .htaccess file
experience the problem that their sites are not compressed. If I pipe
the site to apache site is compressed. SO, my question is what is the
problem with the deflate and my varnish configuration? Is it required to
add something other to varnish to work the deflate? I tried a couple of
things which I found in the net, but nothing worked.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Best regards,
Georgi