Child said getnameinfo = -11 System error

Geoff Simmons geoff at uplex.de
Fri Oct 16 08:26:18 CEST 2015

On 10/14/2015 10:57 PM, Hugues Alary wrote:

> -   Error          out of workspace -   LostHeader
> ReqUnset       X-Forwarded-For: 162.158.92.219 -   Error
> out of workspace
>
> It seems that varnish is running out of workspace. Some googling
> tells me it could be related to ESI includes. It so happen that I
> did change something recently with ESI includes, and, I happen to
> have pages loading something like 100 ESI includes (maybe even
> more).
>
> I read that someone else using 4.0.3 was running out of workspace,
> despite setting a value up to 16mb. Maybe I should tune my
> workspace, but the bug report stated that raising the value to 16mb
> ended up eating up all the memory of the system and thus wasn't
> really an option.

It sounds like you were looking at my thread from a while back. As it
turned out, the problem was due to our own error in VCL, as I'll
explain below, and unless you're making the same mistake, you're
probably not having the same problem.

At any rate, requests and all of their ESI subrequests use the same
workspace, so if you really have up to 100 ESIs, your workspace might
simply not be large enough, so you really should try increasing
workspace_client.

Our mistake was that, under certain error conditions, a request would
restart to another URL that shows a custom error message, which also
has ESI includes. The ESIs within the restart would encounter the same
error, then restart to the same URL, and so on into endless recursion.
max_esi_depth didn't stop the madness soon enough, because the ESI
tree was expanding in breadth as well as depth.

Getting VCL to notice this was happening (by checking req.esi_level)
solved the problem, and we could set the workspace sizes back down to
their previous values.

If you don't have something crazy going on like that, then as I said,
you might just have the straightforward problem that your workspaces
are too small for the 100 ESIs.

HTH,
Geoff
- --
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Scheffelstraße 32
22301 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917