Partial object caching with varnish

Jason Price japrice at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 03:41:50 CEST 2015

Varnish is not designed to work well as a forward proxy.  It's designed to
work as a reverse proxy.

Varnish4 allows for the client to start receiving data before varnish has
received the full response from the backend (which is an important
improvement from varnish3).  Also, multiple requests for the same large
data object can be coalesced into a single backend request, while all
others wait on the first to succeed.  However, this is designed to work
with a defined number of backends, rather than the whole internet (as a
forward proxy would).

-Jason