Varnish install on aws

Tobias Honacker t.honacker at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 15 11:45:01 CET 2016

FYI: Your backend listen on Port 8080, so you should define this in your
varnish config (.vcl) in /etc/varnish

   1. backend default {
   2.   .host = "127.0.0.1";
   3.   .port = "8080";
   4. }

Varnish Port 80 -> open port 80 on your firewall (Security Group AWS)
Backend Port 8080 -> no need to open port 8080 on your firewall (Security
Group AWS)

So your /etc/sysconfig/varnish might look like:

DAEMON_OPTS="-a :80 \
             -f /etc/varnish/default.vcl \
              T localhost:6082 \
             -S /etc/varnish/secret \
             -u varnish -g varnish \
             -s file,/var/lib/varnish/varnish_storage.bin,1G"

hint: with defining the backend in your config you do not need to specify
this in your daemon_opts.

If you type /etc/init.d/varnish restart and you get Stopping Varnish Cache:
 [FAILED] this might be because your varnish daemon is not alive and cant
be stopped :)

You should also read http://book.varnish-software.com/4.0/