Varnish url redirection does not work

georgi.int at gmail.com georgi.int at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 11:01:57 CET 2016

Hello,
I would like to ask your for help after explaining the case and the
infrastructure for this domain. In the varnish configuration I restrict
some types of files to be accessed and downloaded and if some customer
wants to use this functionality I configure subdomain on it's domain on
nginx where these restrictions are not present. Although, my customer do
not want to change the links to the new subdomains (which rely on nginx)
in it's application and I want to redirect all old urls
(domain.com/somedir/download) to the new one - download.thedomain.com,
so if someone open the old url it's redirected to the subdomain on nginx
and the content to be loaded from nginx, not varnish (as the way cpanel
domain forwarder works).
The problem is that when I followed and configured the varnish official
documentation url guide it just change the url in varnishlog, but the
content is again openef from varnish, not nginx, also the url in the
browser is not rewritten.

My questions are 1) is it possible and if yes how, but if not 2) what
workaround can I use?

Thank you in advance. I will wait for you reply.