Varnish modules package released (Was: Re: Update on vmods and packaging)

Lasse Karstensen lkarsten at varnish-software.com
Fri Mar 4 14:30:40 CET 2016

[crosspost to both -dev and -misc]

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 03:40:42PM +0100, Lasse Karstensen wrote:
> Varnish Software (VS) is writing and maintaining a fair amount of vmods for
> Varnish Cache. This includes major ones like vmod-header, which can be
> said to be borderline core Varnish functionality.
> We will be doing some changes on how these are maintained and distributed.
[snip]
> Further down the line it is likely that we will be combining the simple
> vmods (with no third party/library dependencies) into a single
> collection source package. Updates on that will come later.

Hi all.

We have now made an initial release of this collection.

Tarball distribution is here:

    http://files.varnish-software.com/vmod/varnish-modules-0.9.0.tar.gz

The source trees and distribution of the following vmods have been
merged into this single project: cookie, vsthrottle, header, saintmode,
softpurge, tcp, var, xkey. More vmods will be added at a later stage.

This means that starting from today the authoritative location for
development of these vmods is on:

	https://github.com/varnish/varnish-modules

Releases of this tree will be a tarball with a proper changelog,
suitable for packaging into rpm/deb/* packages by motivated third parties.

It is my hope that this will significantly simplify the installation of
these vmods, both for users installing from source, and for users
installing pre-packaged versions from third-party yum/apt/* sources.

3.0 and 4.0 versions of the old vmods will be archived and made
available in a similar manner. When that has been done, the old github
projects for the vmods will be retired.

--
Lasse Karstensen
Varnish Software AS