ban_limit parameter // Re: BAN - Memory consumption exploding under load

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Mon Nov 7 18:57:30 CET 2016

> The alternative to refuse additional bans appears problematic because
> applications will rely on the ability to invalidate the cache for correctness.

To which I suggested that we should maybe have a means to clear a
cache completely without relying on a whole-encompassing ban, like a
varnish-cli command.

Users seeing failing bans could then make the decision to wipe the
cache while still maintaining uptime. Same thing when lookups start
taking seconds because of the number of bans to test, wiping the cache
can be a last-resort solution if turning the hypothetical knob down
isn't enough.

Dridi