varnishncsa logs split per domain

Admin Beckspaced admin at beckspaced.com
Mon Nov 14 18:33:46 CET 2016

Hello Andrei,

No offense taken ;) that's the reason we talk to find the best solution!

and I think you are right. It's better to have one instance of
varnishncsa and shift the log writing away.

I tried piping varnishncsa to the apache split-logfile perl script:

/usr/sbin/varnishncsa -f /etc/varnish/varnishncsa-log-format-string -P
/var/run/varnishlog.pid | sed -e 's#^www\.##g'  | /usr/bin/split-logfile &

and split-logfile started creating different log files for the vhosts.

but still having a bit of an issue with this approach as most of the
data just gets written to the logs once I kill the background process.
the different log files for the vhosts get created but are mostly empty
and start filling up on killing the varnishncsa main process

perhaps the apache split-logfile is not the same as the splitlogs from
cpanel?
where could I download a version to test?

another thing is the naming of the vhosts. you actually never know what
clients are requesting?
so Baidu spider requests URL like 333.domain.com ... or ww3.domain.com
... wwq.domain.com

in your pipe command I see sed removing the www. subdomain but you can
actually never know what comes in?

in apache I can easily filter all those subdomains and redirect to the
proper domain.

even in varnish VCL I can normalize the host

not sure how to do this in varnishncsa? is there a way to do that?

anyway, I think a single varnishncsa process and shifting the log
writing away is the way to go!
but still needs a bit of tweaking if you ask me ;)

thanks & greetings
becki