varnish + gatling http first read error: EOF

Tobias Honacker t.honacker at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 21 10:53:45 CEST 2016

Hi all,

we are facing some issues trying to stresstest our oAuth App using Varnish
4.0.3 and Gatling

Infra:

LB -> Apache (SSL Offloading) + Varnish -> Appserver (Apache + Tomcat)

Varnishlog:
http://pastebin.com/tCWgi01H

VCL:
http://pastebin.com/cEdzAwxs

tcpdump on our app server with 1 req/s (varnishlog 200):
http://pastebin.com/XFVsANiN

tcpdump on our app server with >= 2 req/s (varnishlog 503er):
http://pastebin.com/f2EKADpx

If varnish throws HTTP 503 the connection: close header is missing

Running tests using pipe works fine, because pipe sets connection: close
Running tests without varnish works fine, too.

The Apaches using KeepAlive:

KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 10