Compression Policy

Nigel Peck np.lists at sharphosting.uk
Sat Apr 8 20:49:55 CEST 2017

I am looking at how best to set up compression on my setup, that is a
Varnish server handing out cached content from a separate back-end
server. In his notes on the subject, Poul-Henning says that there is no
need to store both a gzipped and an un-gzipped copy of requests in the
cache, since Varnish can gunzip on the fly.

https://varnish-cache.org/docs/4.1/phk/gzip.html

My question is, wouldn't it be quicker to have both a gzipped and
ungzipped copy stored in memory, so that this does not need to be
changed on the fly? Or is the time taken to ungzip so negligible as to
make this unnecessary?

Thanks
Nigel