5.1.2: debug code enabled by default?

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Tue Apr 18 10:36:40 CEST 2017

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 6:04 PM, Leon Fauster
<leonfauster at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm seeing some debug output while restarting varnish-5.1.2. Sure, such
> things are enabled while compiling but are there some debug code enabled
> by default that could reduce performance, especially for 5.1.2?
>
> # cd / ; env -i  /sbin/service varnish restart

You don't need to cd and clear your environment according to the service manual:

> service runs a System V init script in as predictable environment as possible,
> removing most environment variables and with current working directory set to /.

> Stopping Varnish Cache:                                    [  OK  ]
> Starting Varnish Cache:
> Debug: Platform: Linux,2.6.32-696.1.1.el6.x86_64,x86_64,-junix,-smalloc,-smalloc,-hcritbit
> Debug: Child (18827) Started                               [  OK  ]
>
> Just curious. Can't remember seeing this with varnish-4.

It could be a consequence of initialization work done on varnishd.
There were changes made after discussions about github issues 2141 and
2217, where we now have 3 distinct modes of execution for varnishd:

1) -C to compile VCLs
2) -x to emit docs
3) normal execution (including daemon)

It could be the case that those statements usually seen in debug and
foreground execution are now visible too in daemon execution.

Dridi