Monitoring

Rodney Bizzell rbizzell at measinc.com
Wed Apr 26 16:02:51 CEST 2017

Hello,
What are some suggestions for selecting what should be monitored with third party software such as Solar Winds  to ensure optimal performance of the varnish servers. My Network operations team just asked me what specifically do I need to have monitored within Varish

Name

Description

sess_conn

Cumulative number of accepted client connections by Varnish Cache

client_req

Cumulative number of received client requests. Increments after a request is received, but before Varnish responds

sess_dropped

Number of connections dropped due to a full queue

cache_hit

Cumulative number of times a file was served from Varnish's cache

cache_miss

Cumulative number of times a file was requested but was not in the cache, and was therefore requested from the backend

cache_hitpass

Cumulative number of hits for a "pass" file

n_expired

Cumulative number of expired objects for example due to TTL

n_lru_nuked

Least Recently Used Nuked Objects: Cumulative number of cached objects that Varnish has evicted from the cache because of a lack of space

threads

Number of threads in all pools

threads_created

Number of times a thread has been created

threads_failed

Number of times that Varnish unsuccessfully tried to create a thread

threads_limited

Number of times a thread needed to be created but couldn't because varnishd maxed out its configured capacity for new threads

thread_queue_len

Current queue length: number of requests waiting on worker thread to become available

sess_queued

Number of times Varnish has been out of threads and had to queue up a request

backend_conn

Cumulative number of successful TCP connections to the backend

backend_recycle

Cumulative number of current backend connections which were put back to a pool of keep-alive connections and have not yet been used

backend_reuse

Cumulative number of connections that were reused from the keep-alive pool

backend_toolate

Cumulative number of backend connections that have been closed because they were idle for too long

backend_fail

Cumulative number of failed connections to the backend

backend_unhealthy

Cumulative number of backend connections which were not attempted because the backend has been marked as unhealthy

backend_busy

Cumulative number of times the maximum amount of connections to the backend has been reached

backend_req

Number of requests to the backend

This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential information intended solely for acknowledged recipients. If you think you have received this information in error, please reply to the sender and delete all copies from your system. Please note that unauthorized use, disclosure, or further distribution of this information is prohibited by the sender. Note also that we may monitor email directed to or originating from our network. Thank you for your consideration and assistance. |