Odd crash

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Mon Feb 20 14:13:12 CET 2017

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Andrei <lagged at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dridi,
>
> Thanks for the input. Looking over the panic I initially linked, the exact
> version info was:
>
> version = varnish-4.1.4 revision 4529ff7 ident =
> Linux,2.6.32-642.6.2.el6.x86_64,x86_64,-junix,-smalloc,-smalloc,-hcritbit,epoll

Yes, I definitely need to get the hang of this "reading" thing.

> I had already upgraded to 4.1.5 before mentioning the error on the list, and
> it's been smooth since. It was just odd that there were no clock changes,
> yet it panicked due to a stepping, so I figured I'd bring it up.

There's a bug I don't remember and couldn't find after a quick search.
But basically it would cause the child to not restart after a panic.

Something like:

- panic (child crashed)
- restart
- CLI timeout during restart
- kill the child
- varnish running without a cache process

The last step is similar to the one you ran into, since you couldn't
list backends via the CLI. But I couldn't find this bug after a quick
search and looking at the changelog I don't see anything related. So I
would say you may end up in the same situation even with the latest
4.1 release. You should collect syslogs (enabled by default) and see
what Varnish has to say shortly before/after a panic, it might give a
clue.

Dridi