Varnish 4.1.4 - MAIN.n_gunzip counter increasing for every MAIN.backend_req

Vlad Rusu vlad.rusu at lola.tech
Fri Jan 6 10:28:33 CET 2017

Hi guys,

https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/4.1/reference/vsl.html <https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/4.1/reference/vsl.html>

Gzip tag, in the format section, shows a possible flag of ‘u’ representing a Gunzip-test

In my varnishstat output I see how MAIN.n_gunzip equals (roughly) MAIN.backend_req

Looking at the Gzip tag, I see the following for every backend request:

Gzip           u F - 70 55 80 80 489

Can someone help me understand what a Gunzip-test means / does? It sure gets counted against MAIN.n_gunzip.

Am not attaching the VCL or a full varnishstat as I don’t think it makes sense. Each backend sends gzipped data back to Varnish and each client requests for gzipped data from Varnish..

Thanks!

--
Vlad Rusu
skypeid: rusu.h.vlad | cell: +40758066019

Lola Tech | lola.tech <https://lola.tech/>