Good way to get varnish statistics?

Hugo Cisneiros (Eitch) hugo.cisneiros at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 00:29:48 CEST 2017

Hi folks,

What, in your opinion, is a good way to collect statistics from a
varnish instance?

For example, when I want to get frequency about RespStatus, I use varnishtop:

varnishtop -i RespStatus

But it seems that it doesn't give me the "count" value (like
client.req from varnishstats), just the average (?). So I find it
difficult to "plot" this info into my monitoring system (zabbix). It
would be great if it could return the count in a custom period of time
(like 1m) :)

Another way would be parsing the access.log (generated by
varnishncsa), counting lines and sending the value to the monitoring.
But I think this way is bad and lacks performance.

I also came up with this post:
https://jiboumans.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/realtime-stats-from-varnish/

This uses a vmod but it seems to send statistics on every request. THe
post says that there's no much overhead, but the complexity can grow
:)

What do you use or prefer? I doubt I'm the only one that needs this :P

--
[]'s
Hugo