About choosing the right instance type for Varnish in AmazonEC2

Jordi Llach jllach at agilecontents.com
Fri Mar 10 10:58:33 CET 2017

Hi guys,
any suggestion choosing an Amazon EC2 instance type for Varnish ?

I stumbled upon this doubt/question because we are currently using
"m3.medium" which only has 1 CPU and as stated in the docs Varnish assumes
at least 2 CPU

https://varnish-cache.org/docs/4.1/reference/varnishd.html#thread-pools

The performance feeling that we have is exactly the one cited in the docs
"...more than one pool for each CPU is most likely detrimental to
performance"

Should I decrease this value to 1 or better use another instance type.
In the latter we could upgrade to m3.large(same kind of instance type but
with 2 CPU) or switch to other types : more CPU optimized and less RAM
optimized (c3.large or c4.large)

Any experience/suggestion will be highly appreciated

Thanks

Jordi