Server requirements for installing Varnish

Magical Wonders myles at magicalwonders.com
Thu Mar 16 13:05:33 CET 2017

Hello Guys,

I'm searching for some step by step instructions for the installation of
Varnish, but I'm finding so many variations, it's making my head spin!

I have a VPS running CENTOS 6.8 x86_64 virtuozzo. I found this resource
which looks fairly straightforward as I do have cPanel/WHM -
https://support.qualityunit.com/496090-How-to-install-Varnish-with-CPanel-and-CentOS-to-cache-static-content-on-server

I know I would need to change the "rpm -Uvh
http://repo.varnish-cache.org/redhat/varnish-3.0/el5/noarch/varnish-release-3.0-1.noarch.rpm"
to get the latest version, but not sure what the correct syntax for that
would be?

However, I've now seen this reference -
https://www.saotn.org/install-varnish-cache-on-centos-6-7/  which says
that Varnish relies on Jemalloc and says it should be installed! What
the heck is Jemalloc? I can't see it mentioned anywhere else online in
regards to installing Varnish. I found a mention of it in the Wiki
though -
https://www.varnish-software.com/wiki/search.html?q=Jemalloc&check_keywords=yes&area=default

Looking at the FAQ in Wiki I can see that the following packages are
also required in order for Varnish to work -

autoconf
automake
jemalloc-devel
libedit-devel
libtool
ncurses-devel
pcre-devel
pkgconfig
python-docutils
python-sphinx
graphviz

Navigation on a server is not my strong point. Are the packages likely to be referenced in one location? In other words, how do I find out if I've already got them?

Hope someone can advise.

Myles