varnish caching with jsessionid being set

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Thu Mar 16 13:56:46 CET 2017

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Jim Louis <jlouis at peoplenetonline.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm fairly new to varnish and have used it successfully in the past. Here they would like to use it but they have jsessionid tracking thru multiple VIPs. It seems that these jsessionids are being called cookies and I'm not able to cache anything.
>
> Is there a way to use the jsessionids and accomplish the caching?

Hello,

Yes, there is. This is by far my "favorite" topic [1] so I wrote a
blog post [2] about it. I would recommend carefulness and a solid
understanding of HTTP and cookies first. It also depends a lot on
whether your backend speaks proper HTTP and won't (mis)lead
Varnish to do TheWrongThing(tm).

Cheers,
Dridi

[1] just in case it wasn't clear, it's not
[2] https://info.varnish-software.com/blog/yet-another-post-on-caching-vs-cookies