Understanding cache utilisation

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Tue Nov 7 08:04:43 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 8:09 AM, Guillaume Quintard
<guillaume at varnish-software.com> wrote:
> Hello Jason,
>
> Just an idea, before patching: log obj.hits and obj.age to get an idea of
> what you are delivering.

Indeed, if you keep track of the relevant bits (like varnishncsa only keeps
track of what's needed by its format) you could cheaply (for a given amount
of "cheap") correlate this with LRU evictions.

I'm in the general opinion of making the logs useful, that's why I submitted
a change in 5.2 to get at least the VXID on Hit* records, not just the fact
that we hit something.

Dridi