Memory utilisation gradually increasing

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Sat Jul 28 17:56:07 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 4:41 PM, FULLER, David <FULLERD at parliament.uk> wrote:
> Thanks, we have 1 active VCL and around 35 available (of these 3 are auto/warm and the remainder cold/cold).  The containers running Varnish had to be rebuilt a couple of hours ago, so I'll check varnishadm again on Monday to see whether the numbers have increased.  Are the cold/cold VCLs considered loaded in terms of memory usage?

Yes, cold VCLs are considered loaded in terms of memory usage,
but in a cold state.

It means that they have a lower footprint, but an overhead still
exists. To lower the footprint, varnishd and (well-behaved) VMODs
release any resources that can be acquired again once the VCL is
warmed up prior its use. Just telling varnish to `vcl.use` a cold VCL
will automatically go through the warm up phase, and set the VCL as
active once it reaches the warm state.

Dridi