Varnish VMods for Version 6.1?

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Fri Sep 21 08:56:28 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 3:51 PM Winkelmann, Thomas (RADIO TELE FFH -
Online) <t.winkelmann at ffh.de> wrote:

> Just tested these values. Varnish is nearly dead after restarting with these new values. Only a few requests will be served. I think, we have to wait :)

I guess now would be a good time to bring back h2load. If you increase
thread_pool_min to 2000 (a value that shouldn't be unreasonable) that
brings the thread_pool_reserve to 400, so even if I didn't bump it further
to 500 it'd be in the same ballpark. And if that is enough to bring Varnish
to a crawl we may have a deeper problem here.

As a general rule of thumb we recommend a thread_pool_min sized for
high (for a given definition of high, let's say above average) traffic so that
sudden peaks of traffic wouldn't wait too long for threads to be created.

I don't see why that should become a problem with Varnish 6 :-/

Dridi