Performance degradation on LRU nuking

Ameya Prabhu aprabhu at squarespace.com
Tue Sep 1 13:52:49 UTC 2020

Hi,

We are seeing performance issues with Varnish’s file storage when the
storage reaches its capacity and Varnish starts LRU nuking. As soon as
varnish begins nuking objects, the number of worker threads(MAIN.threads)
starts increasing until it hits the limit(thread_pool_max) and remains
pinned on the thread_pool_max. This then leads to incoming requests getting
queued.

We are running Varnish with following configuration:

Varnish version: 6.1
Storage type: file storage

Storage size: 150 Gb

Granularity: 4096

Thread_pools: 2

Thread_pool_max: 5000

Nuke_limit: 5000

OS: Centos Linux release 7.5.1804

Can we tune any varnishadm params to optimize the nuking ?