Upgrading to 6.6 can't reload

Richard Chivers r.chivers at zengenti.com
Fri Jun 18 12:22:32 UTC 2021

Hi,

First post, hope this is the right place.

I am doing some work at the moment moving our config from version 6 to 6.6,
also moving from ubuntu bionic to focal.

In the systemd configuration when we start varnish we pass the args (also
many more not detailed):

-T localhost:6082 \
-S /etc/varnish/secret \

We have generated an appropriate secret file etc.

In bionic when we run a varnishadm, we don't need to pass the -T or -S
args, it just reads the secret file ( I am assuming) and connects.

In focal this is not the case, I need to pass the args. e.g. varnishadm -T
localhost:6082 -S /etc/varnish/secret

Because of this calling /usr/sbin/varnishreload fails because it
calls varnishadm -n '' -- vcl.list and gets the response "No -T in shared
memory"

So my question is where does this default from, is there an ENV variable to
set, or am I just missing something?

Another strange issue is that varnishlog is not returning anything, it
simply hangs and doen't show anything or an error for that matter.

I Installed by adding the repo: deb
https://packagecloud.io/varnishcache/varnish66/ubuntu/ focal main

Any ideas or help appreciated.

I have gone back through change logs, but can't spot anything.

Thanks

Richard