Varnish only resolve the ip on startup

Guillaume Quintard guillaume.quintard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 15:43:19 UTC 2021

I think it makes sense for Varnish to natively support backends changing
their IPs. I do get the performance argument but now that there is a
cloud/container market and that Varnish has proven to be useful in it, this
basic functionality should be brought in.

Would it be acceptable to add a "host_string" to vrt_endpoint and fill it
if the VCL backend isn't an IP, then, we can add another cp_methods to
cache_conn_pool.c to use it? This way IPs are still super fast, and
hostnames become actually useful and a bit less confusing?

--
Guillaume Quintard